Safeguarding adults

Everyone has the right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect.

Abuse and neglect can occur anywhere: in your own home or a public place, while you are in hospital or attending a day centre, or in a college or care home.

You may be living alone or with others. The person causing the harm may be a stranger to you, but more often than not the person is known, and it can be the case that you usually feel safe with them. They are usually in a position of trust and power, such as a health and care professional, relative or neighbour.

For more information about the abuse and neglect of adults see the NHS Choices webpage.

How to report abuse

Kent County Council Adult Social Teams have staff available 24 hours a day, seven days a week to talk to you about your worries.

  • During the day and in office hours – Call 03000 41 61 61 (text relay 18001 03000 41 61 61) or email
  • Out of hours and in an emergency – If you need to contact us outside of normal office hours, for example during the night, call 03000 41 91 91.

If you think someone is in immediate danger, the best thing to do is call 999 for the emergency services.

For more information please look at Kent County Council’s webpage on reporting abuse.

Domestic abuse

Domestic abuse is an unacceptable crime which affects people from all social and economic backgrounds, regardless of age, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation. It includes any action involving abuse between adult family members (including current and former partners). The abuse occurs when a person causes, attempts to cause, or threatens to cause emotional, sexual or physical harm to an intimate partner or other family member.

For more information on services that can support and help you:

  • Domestic abuse support services in Kent and Medway – Domestic abuse information
  • Kent Police – 101 for all non-emergency enquiries or 999 for an emergency